I’ve been a crazy lady in the kitchen, and I recently baked this Bread Pudding Recipe Made with Apples.
I feel that apples welcome Autumn in with their crispy sweet-tart flavor. So baking an apple dessert on a cool autumn day is one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. In fact, I just created my Apple Dumpling dessert that is a stunning and delicious treat.
But, this bread pudding recipe has a unique twist since I added apples and a caramel sauce. The custard bread pudding is yummy but combing the apple compliments it so lovely.
By the way, there are quite a few apple recipes at the bottom of this post. So make sure to scroll down to view my friend’s tasty recipes.
How My Recipe All Began
For many summers, we rented a remote cabin in Montana. This rustic cabin is my husband’s ideal vacation spot since he can fly fish and unplug from everything. Well, I’m similar to my husband in this regard, and I love this kind of retreat since I bake until my heart’s content.
So, on one trip, I found a great recipe and thought maybe I should try making it. You see, I had never made bread pudding let along tasted one.
I should give you a bit of the backstory to this baking adventure. This cabin has a wonderful 1960s cookbook that I have tried quite a few of the recipes. So, I found this recipe and was excited to give it a try. The tricky part I had to deal with is that the cabin’s oven door looked like some kid had sat on it. So, needless to say, the door leaked out air and wasn’t sealed tight.
Well, when I baked, I wedged a kitchen chair in front of the door to secure the oven.
I’m sure my oven shenanigans were a funny sight to see, but that didn’t stop me from baking the yummy bread pudding. Well, the custard did come out great on my first attempt, and we devoured it until the rich egg custard made our tummies full.
Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1 qt milk
- 2 cups 2-day old bread crumbs cut into small squares
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp butter melted
- 2 Granny Smith apples sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Slice apples and cook in a saucepan with butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cook until apples are tender. Take off stove and set aside for later.
Custard for Bread Pudding
- Start heating oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 1 ½ qt casserole dish.
- In a double boiler, heat milk until tiny bubbles appear around the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs and set aside.
- Break eggs into the casserole dish beating slightly with a fork.
- Stir in sugar, salt, then milk mixture, nutmeg, vanilla, and butter.
- Set the casserole dish in baking pan; fill baking with warm water. The water should come up 1" from top of the casserole dish.
- Place cooked apples on top of the custard bread pudding. Drizzle the sauce over the apples.
- Bake uncovered, 1 hour 15 minutes or until knife when inserted comes clean.
- Serve warm or cold. Place a dollop of whip cream or ice cream on top.
I love this old-time recipe, but I wanted to add the sweet apples and sauce for bread pudding. Every time I add different things to an already great recipe, the new version is even better! The apples are just the perfect complement to this dessert, and they add some sweetness and crunch with the egg custard and bread. And I’m seriously in love with this dessert with apples. You can find another recipe on the blog, mini apple tarts baked in small cast iron pans.
I have so many recipes floating around in my head and not enough time to bake them.
Happy Fall and Happy Baking!
More Amazing Apple Recipes From My Friends!
Cream Cheese and Spiced Apple Dessert with Homemade Caramel by Twelve on Main | Cinnamon Apple & Walnut Dutch Bread by Sincerely, Marie | Amazing Apple Crisp by Julie Blanner | Hasselback Apples by Tatertots and Jello
Apple Pancakes by My Sweet Savannah | Simple Salted Caramel Baked Apple Recipe by Grace In My Space | Apple Cider Donuts with Cardamon Dipping Cream by Finding Lovely | Caramel Apple Phylo Bites by The Happy Housie
Cinnamon Sugar Spiced Apple Pie Sundae by Pink Peppermint | The Best Rosemary Browned Butter Apple Pie by The Tattered Pew | Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Apples by The Handmade Home | Old Fashioned Apple Dapple Cake by A Blue Nest