I love Easy Cod Fish Tacos! These tacos have a delicious coleslaw dressing that tops the crunchy red cabbage. The fish is simple to prepare and it’s goes well with the creamy homemade taco sauce and fresh vegetables.
We add shredded red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, avocados, and cilantro to our tacos. But, you can add whatever vegetables or fruit you prefer. That’s the beauty of this recipe.
Before I share the story behind this recipe, I need to mention that it’s part of a blog hop. You can view my friend’s healthy recipes at the bottom of this post.
One night, my daughter came home from having dinner with friends and said she had some of the best fish tacos she had ever tasted!
She insisted that we recreate them immediately!
I mean who doesn’t love fish tacos?
I love them so I was totally on board with her making them! Gotta love it when kids get excited about cooking.
Together, we came up with a delicious recipe that is quick, easy, and packed with flavor!
Easy Cod Fish Tacos
I find Tilapia, while tasty, when cooked, tends to fall apart. But I read that maybe I’m not cooking it correctly. I’ll address pan-frying fish later in the post.
So this leads to the next topic.
Best Fish to Use for Tacos
There are several options for what fish you can use for these tacos!
These fish tacos are a family favorite and taste so good with Cod. I find that Cod is a firm fish and usually doesn’t fall apart when seared.
Not only is Cod a good choice for these tacos, but Halibut is another. Some other choices besides Cod and Halibut are Saltwater Fish, Mahi Mahi, and wild or local fish.
In the end, it is totally up to you when preparing fish tacos!
What are the Ingredients for Fish Tacos
There are multiple parts when preparing a fish taco.
Everyone has a different way of preparing fish tacos, maybe they have their own secret ingredient or twist.
Before I get to my secret ingredient. Here are the basic ingredients for each part.
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Lemon Juice
- Secret Ingredient
To Serve With
- Corn Tortillas
- Lime juice
How to Make Fish Tacos
Prepare the sauce: Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper with lemon juice and the secret ingredient and whisk together until fully mixed.
Prepare the fish: Fry the fish with all of the needed spices and ingredients necessary for preparation.
Prepare toppings Slice tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.
Cook fish in a skillet
Assemble Tacos: Use corn tortillas or your own choice and add toppings along with the sauce on top or to the side.
What to Serve with Fish Tacos
It’s always a bonus when you have a side to serve with a delicious meal.
For easy-cod fish tacos, there are multiple sides to prepare!
Here are some of my recommendations.
- Chips, guacamole, and salsa
- Spanish rice
- Coleslaw salad
- Refried beans
Here are some other dinner recipes on the blog:
Easy Cod Fish Tacos
Fish Taco Ingredients
- 24 small white or yellow corn tortillas
- 1½ lbs cod or a white fish
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs cooking oil
Fish Taco Toppings
- ½ small red cabbage
- 2 medium avocado peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 bunch cilantro stems removed and chopped
- 2 limes sliced
Fish Taco Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Wash fish and throughly pat fish dry.
- Cut fish into 1½ inch cubes.
- Place fish in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and salt.
- Sprinkle seasonings over fish.
- Prepare large skillet with cooking oil. Place the heat on medium to high.
- Place fish in skillet and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes. Leaving it alone will allow it to sear and stay together. flip carefully and cook for another minute.
Prepare the Taco Toppings
- Shred the cabbage or thinly slice.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Slice limes or quarter.
- Peel and cube avocados. The avocados will brown so prepare this right before serviing.
- Remove cilantro stems and chop leaves.
Prepare the Coleslaw Dressing
- Whisk mayonnaise, sugar, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper, and salt together in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Steam tortillas. Place a few on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for like 20 seconds. We also steam them in a double broiler.
- Place a tortilla open on a plate.
- Add fish, tomatoes, avocados, cilantro and cabbage.
- Top with sauce.
What Makes These Fish Tacos Amazing
These fish tacos have it all.
Easy and simple. Prepare in less than 25 minutes!
They are crispy and creamy.
They are spicy, tangy, and salty.
Would you believe me if I told you they were also gluten-free? Well, they are!
Now that the weather is turning warm, easy cod fish tacos are perfect for dining outside with the family. If you get brave, cook some fish on the bbq to get that smoky taste!
PS: If you’re wondering what my secret to my yummy fish tacos is, it’s in the creamy sauce! You’ve got to try making this yummy recipe!
Here are My Friend’s Healthy Recipes!
Kale Ranch Salad // Finding Lovely
My Favorite Blueberry Spinach Smoothie // Modern Glam
Cinnamon Apple Granola Recipe // Zevy Joy
Easy Cod Fish Tacos with Homemade Taco Sauce // Happy Happy Nester
Easy Healthy Snack – Protein Balls with Peanut Butter // My 100 Year Old Home
How to Make Overnight Oats // The DIY Mommy
Turkey Picnic Sandwiches // Lemon Grove Lane
A Colorful Healthy Main Dish Featuring Salmon with Dill // Most Lovely Things
Healthy Homemade Meatballs // My Sweet Savannah
Egg Roll In A Bowl // Twelve On Main
- Summer Floral Arrangement Ideas - June 3, 2023
- Lemon Sorbet in a Lemon - June 2, 2023
- How to Create Peony Arrangements - June 1, 2023
Hi Janine! These sound great!
Did I miss it? I didn’t see what makes up the secret ingredient? Thanks for all your fun posts. Ellen
Yeah, I forgot to mention it, you caught me! Hehe! I added it to the end of the post! Thanks!!!
What’s secret ingredient?
Silly me I forgot to mention the secret ingredient. I did add it at the end of the post.