This Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Recipe is a little bit different than most recipes. You see, it has pure pumpkin flour that delivers the beautiful pumpkin flavor and creates a deliciously fluffy and soft cookie.
Cookies are my favorite kind of dessert. And this recipe for pumpkin snickerdoodles has a beautiful blend of spices that naturally make it a lovely fall and winter cookie.
Snickerdoodle cookies are my husband’s favorite cookie. But I think it would be fair to say that any cookie is my husband’s favorite. I hate to admit that I’ve shied away from baking his favorite cookie since I have failed miserably at making them. I’m not sure why I have a problem with this cookie. But my snickerdoodles have always come out flat and oily over the years.
Finally, I came up with a delicious cookie with a subtle but delightful taste of pumpkin!
PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLE RECIPE
I created a subtle pumpkin-flavored snickerdoodle that is perfect for the holidays. Ally, I’m not too fond of a Snickerdoodle; it feels like there should be more to the cookie. So, when I experimented by adding some pumpkin flour to the dough, I had one of those aha moments. Strangely, the pumpkin created a fluffy cookie that my whole family loves.
I’m delighted to share my family’s latest obsession, my best pumpkin snickerdoodle recipe.
But first, some of you maybe ask this question:
What is a Snickerdoodle?
Snickerdoodles are often referred to as sugar cookies. Some traditional sugar cookies are often rolled in white granulated sugar whereas snickerdoodles are rolled in a mixture of white sugar and cinnamon.
It is a cookie that contains flour, butter or oil, sugar, and salt. And like mentioned above it is rolled in cinnamon sugar. One
Snickerdoodles most always have a cracked surface. And the cookie can be either soft or crisp in texture.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
Grocery list of items
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Have you ever wondered what is in pumpkin spice? Well, it contains cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Pumpkin Powder – this is a great way to add the pumpkin taste without altering the liquid in the recipe. Here is the link to pure pumpkin flour. We add it to our pancakes to make yummy pumpkin pancakes.
- Cream of Tartar – It is tartaric acid in powder form. It bonds with baking soda to stabilize and activate the soda. It is what makes dessert fluffy as well.
- Unsalted Butter – So, you want unsalted butter since the amount of salt can vary from stick to stick.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
My Favorite Baking Supplies!
How to Make Snickerdoodle Cookies
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Step 1 – Cream Together Ingredients
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
Cookie Dough Ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups flour
- ¼ cup powdered pumpkin flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together butter, shortening, 1½ cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla. In another bowl, stir the all-purpose flour, pumpkin flour, cream of tartar, soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to the butter and shortening. Blend until the dough is mixed and formed.
- Shape dough into spoonfuls of balls.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of sugar and 4 teaspoons of cinnamon together in a small bowl. Roll the cookie balls in the sugar mixture until the cookie is totally covered.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set. Remove immediately from baking sheets to a cookie rack.
Can I freeze these cookies and bake them at a later date?
Yes! You can make the dough and balls ahead of time and freeze them for up to three months. Pop them out of the freezer and roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and bake them. If you don’t allow them to thaw, then bake them for additional 1-2 minutes.
You can also make and bake these cookies and then freeze them in a plastic bag.
How to store the cookies?
I always just place them in a Tupperware airtight container. You can also place them in a cookie jar too.
Where can I find pumpkin flour?
I’m providing the link to a package of pure pumpkin flour. You can add this to your dessert, drinks, or smoothies for a fall treat!
Can I use pumpkin puree instead of pumpkin flour?
Well, I didn’t want to use pumpkin puree since it is pretty moist and would alter the liquid in this recipe. The pumpkin flour is dry and so the results are a fluffy yummy cookie. I guess you could alter the liquid by adding only the yolks. Or maybe using only one egg. But, I haven’t tried this version. Let me know if you do and how it turns out.
I hope you like this pumpkin snickerdoodle recipe. I’m a bit obsessed with cookies, so have a look at my other recipes!
Happy Fall Baking!
- Summer Floral Arrangement Ideas - June 3, 2023
- Lemon Sorbet in a Lemon - June 2, 2023
- How to Create Peony Arrangements - June 1, 2023
So smart adding the pumpkin flour! Snickerdoodles are one of my favourites 🙂
Snickerdoodles are my son’s favorite! I can’t wait to make these Janine! I pinned them to my cookie exchange board to make!
These look so good! I love the pumpkin twist!