This unique Double Chocolate Banana Bread is a decadent twist on a classic favorite. It’s an indulgence for any chocolate lover with a rich cocoa-infused batter, an abundance of chocolate chips, and a secret ingredient of creamy avocado.
This recipe elevates banana bread to a whole new level. As a bonus, it retains moisture for several days and improves flavor over time.
You know, I really enjoy baking banana bread, and actually, any bread for that matter. But recently, I decided to get creative and introduce some intriguing ingredients into my recipe. What’s really fun about this is that these additions are not your typical banana bread ingredients.
But before we go further, here are some other bread recipes that might interest you.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- Decadent Chocolate Flavor: This double chocolate banana bread recipe offers an indulgent chocolate experience perfect for chocoholics, with both cocoa-infused batter and plenty of chocolate chips.
- Moist and Rich Texture: The addition of avocado adds a unique twist and keeps the bread incredibly moist, resulting in a velvety, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Versatile Treat: It’s versatile and works equally well as a dessert, snack, or even a special breakfast.
- Long-Lasting Freshness: Unlike some baked goods that dry out quickly, this banana bread stays moist for days, and the flavors actually intensify as it ages.
- Surprising Ingredients: With avocado as an unexpected secret ingredient, it’s a delightful conversation starter and a sneaky way to incorporate healthy fats into your dessert.
- Ripe Bananas are Key: Ensure your bananas are really ripe; their natural sweetness and moisture intensify the flavor and texture of the bread.
- Properly Measure Flour: When measuring flour, use the spoon and level method to avoid packing it too tightly into the measuring cup, which can lead to a loaf of dense banana bread.
- Don’t Overmix: Once you add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, mix just until combined. Overmixing can make the bread tough.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Bring eggs and milk to room temperature before mixing them with other ingredients. This promotes better incorporation and a smoother batter.
- Test for Doneness: Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread; it should come out with a few moist crumbs but not wet batter. Overbaking can result in dry bread, so watch it closely as it nears the end of the baking time.
- Cool Before Slicing: Allow the double chocolate banana bread to cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. This helps the bread set and prevents it from falling apart when sliced.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD
Making double chocolate banana bread is a breeze. Mix the ingredients together, pour the batter into a loaf pan, and let the oven do the work. It’s a straightforward and delicious treat to whip up in no time.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BANANA BREAD
- Ripe Bananas: Ripe bananas infuse natural sweetness into the bread and contribute moisture and a distinctive banana flavor that complements the chocolate.
- Avocado: Avocado adds an unexpected creamy texture, healthy fats, and a subtle earthiness that pairs harmoniously with the chocolate, creating a unique and luscious mouthfeel.
- Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt lends extra moisture, tenderness, and a slightly tangy note to the bread, enhancing its overall richness.
- Oil: Oil in the double chocolate banana bread recipe adds moisture and helps create a tender texture in the final product.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract elevates the aroma and taste profile of the bread, providing a warm, sweet undertone that complements the chocolate and banana.
- Sugar: Sugar sweetens the bread, balancing the natural sugars from the bananas and chocolate, and caramelizes during baking to create a beautiful crust.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar adds depth and a subtle molasses flavor, enhancing the overall richness and moistness of the bread.
- Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent, providing structure and stability to the bread while also contributing to its moisture and richness.
- Flour: Flour is the main structural ingredient, giving the bread its structure and texture while binding all the other components together.
- Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder is responsible for the intense chocolate flavor in the bread, creating a deep, dark chocolatey taste.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is a leavening agent that helps the bread rise, creating a light and fluffy texture.
- Salt: Salt enhances the overall flavor, balancing the sweetness and intensifying the chocolate’s richness.
- Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips add pockets of melted chocolate throughout the bread, intensifying the chocolate experience with every bite.
- Walnuts: Walnuts contribute a delightful crunch and a nutty flavor that contrasts beautifully with the creamy texture of the bread, adding a pleasant textural and flavor contrast.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD
Step 1 – Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
Step 2 – Mix Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, mashed avocado, Greek yogurt, oil, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Mix until well combined and the mixture is creamy.
Step 3 – Add Eggs: Add the eggs, one at a time, to the mixture, beating well after each addition.
Step 4 – Mix Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Step 5 – Combine Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
Step 6 – Add Chocolate Chips and Nuts: Fold in the chocolate chips and, if desired, chopped nuts.
Step 7 – Pour Batter: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
Step 8 – Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50-60 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
Step 9 – Cool: Once baked, remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- ¾ cup bananas Mashed and can add about 1 cup if you want a super moist bread.
- 1 avocado ripe and mashed
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt whole milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Mix Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, mashed avocado, Greek yogurt, cooking oil, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Mix until well combined and the mixture is creamy.
- Add Eggs: Add the eggs, one at a time, to the mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Add Chocolate Chips and Nuts: Fold in the chocolate chips and, if desired, chopped nuts.
- Pour Batter: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50-60 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool: Once baked, remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Nut Butter: Instead of avocado, you can use almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter. These nut butters will add a rich, nutty flavor and creaminess to the bread.
- Sweet Potato: Replace the avocado with mashed sweet potato. It adds natural sweetness and a pleasant, earthy flavor to the bread.
- Zucchini: Grated zucchini can be substituted for the secret ingredient. It adds moisture and a subtle vegetable flavor that complements the chocolate.
- Pumpkin Puree: Use pumpkin puree as a secret ingredient for a seasonal twist. It adds a lovely autumnal flavor and moisture to the bread.
- Applesauce: Swap the avocado for unsweetened applesauce. It adds natural sweetness and keeps the bread moist. This substitution can also reduce the fat content if you’re looking for a healthier option.
- Butter: Butter enriches the flavor, adds moisture, and contributes to a tender crumb.
Remember that the final product’s flavor and texture may vary when substituting. Experimenting with different secret ingredients can be a fun way to customize your chocolate banana bread to your taste preferences and dietary requirements.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Double chocolate banana bread is a variation of traditional banana bread that includes cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the recipe. It’s a delicious combination of moist banana bread with a rich chocolate flavor.
Yes, overripe bananas are ideal for making banana bread. They are sweeter and mash easily, adding natural sweetness and moisture to the bread.
Depending on your preference, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder, either natural or Dutch-processed. Dutch-processed cocoa powder will result in a darker and milder chocolate flavor.
You can use chopped dark chocolate, white chocolate chips, or even a combination of chocolates to add variety to your double chocolate banana bread.
Yes, you can make gluten-free double chocolate banana bread using a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour instead of all-purpose flour. Be sure to check that all your other ingredients are also gluten-free.
Store your banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you want to keep it longer, you can refrigerate it for up to a week or freeze it for several months.
Yes, you can make a vegan version of double chocolate banana bread using egg substitutes like flax eggs or applesauce, canola oil, and dairy-free chocolate chips.
You can adjust the sweetness to your liking by varying the sugar or sweetener in the recipe. Taste the batter before baking and adjust as needed.
If you’re a chocolate and banana bread fan, this double chocolate banana bread recipe combines these two delightful treats. It’s a delicious fusion worth savoring!
Hey, thanks for swinging by!
Photo Credits: MyPhotography.com