This Easy Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup is packed with onions, potatoes, carrots, and broccoli. It’s similar to the famous Panera recipe but better. It’s creamy and thick and has a rich spice that makes it different from other soups. And it’s a soup that simmers for only 30 minutes!
A bowl of cheesy broccoli soup is perfect for a cold winter day. And the wonderful thing about this recipe is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make. So, making dinner is an easy thing to whip up. Also, it’s somewhat healthy since the thickness is created by pureeing the cooked ingredients.
I always love a hearty soup! This recipe is creamy, cheesy, and packed full of vegetables. And if you like Panera’s broccoli soup, then you’ll love this one. If you want some winter dinner ideas, here are some you might want to try:
Easy Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This recipe is an old-time family favorite. My sister-in-law gave me the recipe, and I’m not sure where she found it. I love that is a hint of curry sets it apart from all the other broccoli soup recipes. It’s a rich and cheesy dinner that can be a vegetarian soup. So, instead of using chicken broth, you can easily substitute it with a vegetable broth.
How to Make Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Step 1 – Prep Vegetables
Broccoli: Trim flowerets from broccoli and cut into small pieces. Discard tough ends of the stems. Peel tender stems and thinly slice.
Onion: Peel off the skin and chop coarsely.
Potato: Wash and cube potatoes.
Carrots: Wash, peel, and slice carrots.
Step 2 – Make Soup Stock
Melt butter in a big stockpot. Add onions and curry powder and cook for five minutes. Add broth, potatoes, broccoli stems, and carrots.
Step 3 – Simmer Soup
Cover and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes. The potatoes should mash when done.
Step 4 – Puree Soup
Whirls about 3/4 of the broth in a blender and returns to the stockpot.
Step 5 – Add Cheese and Milk
Add shredded cheese and milk to soup and stir. Serve once the cheese has melted.
Easy Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1½ lbs broccoli
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth can substitute vegetable broth for chicken
- 2 large potatoes thin skinned and cubed
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Trim flowerets from broccoli and cut them into small pieces. Discard tough ends of stems. Peel stems and thinly slice.
- In a 6-8 quart pot, melt butter over medium heat, add curry powder and onion and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, broccoli stems, and carrots. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft and easily mashed.
- Whirl ¾ of the broth in a blender and return to pot.
- Add and stir in milk and cheese to the broth. Simmer soup broth until cheese is melted
- Serve soup immediately and top with extra cheese if desired.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
You can freeze broccoli cheddar soup for up to two months.
So, before freezing, bring the soup to room temperature by allowing it to sit out on your counter. Then place it in a large enough container so that it has enough room to expand when freezing.
When you thaw the soup, you should take these critical steps. You see, the dairy in the soup can make reheating it a bit touchy. So it would be best if you thawed it before heating the soup. You can leave it out to thaw your soup to room temperature or place it in the fridge.
Once the soup is thawed reheat it slowly and whisk the soup so that the milk and cheese reincorporate with the broth.
- Summer Floral Arrangement Ideas - June 3, 2023
- Lemon Sorbet in a Lemon - June 2, 2023
- How to Create Peony Arrangements - June 1, 2023
Leave a Reply