Here are the best Bakery Styled Carrot Cake Muffins with a delicious crumble topping. Not only do these muffins have a crumble topping but they also have chocolate chips inside as a bonus!
I love the combination of a moist carrot cake and crumble. The chocolate chips just add a nice touch and richness. This is a fun and delicious recipe to share with friends and family for any occasion!
*This post contains affiliate links
As some of you know we live a hop, skip, and a jump away from Napa! The upscale grocery store, Dean and DeLuca has always been one of our favorite places to visit. Forget the wine, we wanted the gourmet desserts!
They had the best selection of muffins, cookies, cinnamon buns, you name it! Of course, we had to bring some home! I have always envied their gourmet desserts, especially their muffins!
So, I am happy to say that I finally figured out how to recreate the bakery-style crumble and I’m featuring it today in this carrot cake muffin recipe!
How to Make Bakery Style Carrot Cake Muffins
Step 1 – Make the crumble
Step 2 – Cut Parchment and mold into paper liners
Step 3 – Mix the dough
Step 4 – Fill muffin liners 2/3 full with dough
Step 5 – Top muffins with half the crumble
Step 6 – Bake for 15 minutes and then top muffins with the rest of the crumble
Step 7 – Take out of the oven and cool on baking rack
How to Shred Carrots
Grater and By Hand
This is my choice of grating. I use the old-fashion metal grater.
Use the grater attachment for your Kitchen Aid Mixer. I need to invest in one of these attachments.
The other day, my husband bought a bag of grated carrots at Trader Joes! It’s such a convenient alternative if want to save some time.
Tips About the Crumb Topping
So to get the thick layer of crumble there is a special method. First off the crumb recipe is awesome and it makes big lumps of yummy sugary goodness. Secondly, mid bake, you’ll need to pull the carrot cake muffins out of the oven and add a generous helping of crumbs. You’ll notice that the muffins will look sparsely topped.
This step is pretty important if you like the yummy dense layer of crumb topping. This is what makes this recipe a bakery style carrot cake muffins!
Why Tulip Paper Liners
The tall parchment paper tulip muffin liners are perfect for a dense crumble. If you don’t use these homemade liners, the crumble will overflow onto the muffin tin. The tall paper sides allow a tall yummy topping. And that’s a good thing.
How to Make Tulip Paper Liners
Here is my video on how to make the paper tulip liners.
Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1½ cups carrots shredded
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter melted
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt butter over the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Combine sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in melted butter then add flour. Stir until moist.
- Pour crumbs onto parchment paper.
- Line muffin tin with 15 parchment tulip liners. Watch video on how to make the liners.
- Beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add carrots and beat together.
- Next, add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Now, alternate adding the flour and oil to the cake batter.
- Add salt, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate chips to the mixture. Beat well.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin liners.
- Top with half the crumb topping.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Take muffins out of the oven and top the rest of the muffins with crumble.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until crumble is slightly golden.
- Place baked muffins on baking rack to cool.
- Once muffins are cooled, place chocolate chips on top, you can also place them on the muffins when you pull them out mid-bake.
If you like these bakery style carrot cake muffins then here are more recipes you might enjoy:
- Best Carrot Cake Recipe
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Scones (Creamy and Fluffy)
- The Best Chocolate Cake
Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoy this recipe. If your family is like mine, then these muffins will be gone lickety split.