Here are some Homemade Cinnamon Rolls that are light and delicious and perfect for any breakfast. This recipe does contain yeast, but don’t panic since it only requires one dough rise. And if your oven has a bread proofing option, you’re in luck. But, no worries since you can easily proof your bread by setting your oven to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Today my friends and I have all our Mother’s Day Brunch recipes. You can find a list of them and their scrumptious-looking photos at the end of this post.
Let’s Talk About This Baking Yeast Shortage!
Let’s talk about this whole yeast crisis. What the heck is going on? How is that there is no yeast available in the stores? How did everyone suddenly become The Great British Baking Show co-host, Paul Hollywood wannabes? Are there marathon breadmaking challenges that I’m not aware of? Well, I recently found a one-pound package of yeast at Sur la Table but now they are all sold out.
So, since my Instagram followers are telling me that they can’t find any yeast, I came up with some clever solutions for them. And I found some yeast!
Here are quite a few options over on eBay.
And I found some over on Etsy.
I also did another search and here are the results, yeast.
Now, do you have enough flour? 🙂 I’ve had the hardest time piecing together my flour supply. Here is some flour on eBay.
If you are serious about this baking pastime, here is a restaurant supply outlet. I’m not sure about how to order over on this site, but it is worth a try. Let me know if you successfully place an order.
Let’s Talk About These Cinnamon Rolls!
Ok, here is the back story of these homemade cinnamon rolls. I grew up in Southern California, and our junior high school cafeteria baked and sold the yummiest cinnamon rolls and crumb cake. Yes, I was a nerd, and I worked in the cafeteria and served up these breakfast cakes. I still can remember how crazy amazing they tasted and looked. The scent of these cinnamon rolls would mesmerize my brain, and on occasion, I would buy one.
Well, I’m super excited since now I have the recipe!
You see, a while back, my mom found the recipe, and I’m delighted to say that I finally baked the cinnamon rolls. Oh my goodness, they are reminiscent of the Los Angles School District recipe. I did adjust the icing, and I created a version that is thicker and creamier, which I like better.
I’m sure my mom would love these rolls and she would be delighted that I finally made the recipe. I so wish I could make these delicious homemade cinnamon rolls for my mom. But sadly she passed away last November. She was an avid baker, and she was always making something yummy in her kitchen. You can see a photo of her in my Blueberry Pie Recipe post. I have posted a few of her great recipes over here on the blog:
Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 4 tsp Yeast
- 1 cup Milk lukewarm
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Shortening
- ½ Egg ⅛ cup
- ½ cup Cake flour
- 2 ½ cup Bread flour
- ¾ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ⅛ cup Butter melted
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ cup Room Temperature Butter plus 3 teaspoons
- 3 cups Powdered sugar
- 5 ¼ tbsp Milk
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk.
- Combine sugar, salt, shortening and egg in mixing bowl and mix 1 minute at low speed.
- Add milk and yeast mixture to the sugar, shortening and egg.
- Mix 1 minute.
- Add cake and bread flours and nutmeg.
- Mix only enough for the flour to be incorporated, not more than 5 minutes.
- Roll dough out to a 15" x 14" rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with crumble filling.
- Starting from the 15-inch side, roll up jellyroll fashion.
- Place seam side down and cut roll.
- Slice into 1-inch slices. I used dental floss to cut into pieces. Make sure to watch the video tutorial.
- Place each roll cut-side down on a greased baking sheet. Btw, I used a ceramic casserole dish.
- Pat each roll until it is fairly flat.
- Cover loosely with tin foil.
- Let dough rise until doubled. I placed the rolls in my oven with it set to bread proofing. Bread proofs at 100°.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- When partially cooled, brush with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix until smooth.
Right now, I’m craving a few warm homemade cinnamon rolls to have alongside my coffee. Oh boy, I’m going to be rolly Polly with our Shelter in Place orders. But baking is a fun distraction, and it appears a lot of you are baking too! Well, lookout. More recipes are heading your way.
PS: Hey, if you like crafts, baking, and decorating, make sure to check out my private membership class. We are a group of women who keep busy and inspired by many projects. This weekend I’ll be showing how to make pretty felt flowers.
14 Mother’s Day Brunch Recipes
Skinny Grapefruit Margaritas – Modern Glam // Herb Infused Simple Syrups & Cocktail Bar – My Sweet Savannah // Rosemary Grapefruit White Claw Spritzer – Art of Everyday Living // Healthy Breakfast in Bed – Cassie Bustamante