I’ve wanted to post this Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls for a while now.
*The following post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls
This is a perfect morning breakfast treat, and the orange gives it a fantastic twist. The great thing about these homemade orange sweet rolls is that they do not have yeast, and so there is no rising or waiting period. Hip Hip Hooray for an easy cinnamon roll recipe. My daughter knows how to make these delicious rolls.
I’m happy to inform you that today there are a few more recipes besides mine. My friends are sharing their Magnolia Table inspired recipes too.
This homemade orange sweet roll recipe is best right out of the oven. They are the soft and gooey sweetness that warms the tummy. I can’t help but think that they would be wonderful to wake up to on Christmas morning. This idea is so doable since they are quicker to make than the traditional cinnamon rolls.
And isn’t this the cutest baking dish? When you make these homemade orange sweet rolls make sure to bake them in a bigger pan. I only used this dish since it is easy to photograph. I believe this pan comes in a bigger size.
Here Are My Friend’s Recipes
Leslie | My 100 Year Old Home
Oh my, these yummy looking Orange Juice Pancakes Inspired by Joanna Gaines are the perfect thing to wake up to for breakfast! I just might have to try these since I’m always looking for a new pancake recipe. I have my favorite pancake recipe that we have when we have guests stay with us.
Ashley | Modern Glam
Our family loves salads, at least my husband and I. Ashley’s Layered Arugula Salad has all the ingredients that I love! It looks like the best fall salad!
Tana | Your Marketing BFF
Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes with Fresh Blueberry Compote looks dreamy! Tana always amazes me with her lovely desserts. She is like me and loves to bake delectable sweets!
Laura | Inspiration for Moms
Oh boy, these Banana Bread Bars Inspired by Joanna Gaines look amazing. A recipe using some extra ripe bananas is always welcomed in my kitchen.
Sara | Twelve on Main
Fresh peaches are so incredible and Sara’s Peach Dessert, Cheesecake Mousse Inspired by Joanna Gaines looks stunning! My mouth is watering from her photo.
Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 orange zest finely grated
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
To Make the Rolls
- Brush 9-inch square cake pan with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk and 2 tablespoons melted butter together in a small bowl.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until liquid is absorbed (dough will look stringy), about 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth.
- Pat dough into 12 by 9-inch rectangle. Brush dough with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with filling, leaving ½-border around edges of the dough. Press filling into the dough.
- Starting at the long side roll like a log and pinch and seal ends.
- Cut the log into 8 equal pieces.
- Place one roll in the center of the pan and then place the other around the perimeter.
- Brush the tops of rolls with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 23-25 minutes.
- Let rolls cool for 5 minutes before icing.
- Combine sugars, cinnamon, cloves, walnuts, and salt in a small bowl. Add melted butter and stir with a fork until mixture resembles wet sand; set filling mixture aside.
- While the buns cool, in a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, and vanilla. whisk in enough orange juice to make a soft glaze that drips in a wide ribbon off the whisk. Drizzle over the slightly cooled rolls.
Our home is bursting with wonderful scents like cinnamon and orange. My husband is working from home these days, and we take little breaks in our workday. He now has a cup of tea waiting for me with one of these sweet rolls. Yes, he is getting a bit spoiled since I recently baked some Pumpkin Bread! Oh well, to offset all my baking we spend a lot of time walking and hiking. Soon, we will be taking up running and entering marathons to support my baking obsession!